Deadline for applications: Wednesday 27 February at 12 noon.
The Lumsden Residency looks to support artists with collective learning and making practices, who are looking to develop and test out their modes of inquiry through residency at SSW and working with students at Lumsden Primary School. Together with the students, we welcome applications from artists that explore the multiple and expanded ways in which we can make, live and learn together.
There are three part-funded residencies available, each a month long, that run alongside our Summer Residency programme. During this time, the selected artists will facilitate one session with the students and have time to work on the development of their practice through research, experimentation and production.
The artists will then return to SSW in October to share their enquiries alongside the students as part of our 40th anniversary celebrations.
The Lumsden residency offers artists:
- A free four week residency during the Summer Residency programme
- Shared, simple self-catering accommodation and access to all SSW facilities
- Curatorial and technical support and mentoring
- A budget of £500 towards travel and materials
Artists will deliver:
- One session with Lumsden Primary School students during the residency period
- A public sharing of the research, activity or work generated through the residency at our 40th anniversary celebrations with the students at Lumsden Primary School.
Lumsden Primary School is a small school consisting of one class with children between the ages of 5-12 years old. SSW has a good relationship with the school and works with them regularly; the Programme Manager will support this activity alongside the school’s Head Teacher.
Mon 17 June — Mon 15 July 2019
Mon 29 July — Mon 26 August 2019
Mon 2 September — Mon 7 October 2019
Residency 1 & 2 artists will return to SSW w/c Monday 30 September to share residency activity.
Please state your preferred or available dates in the application form. All artists must be available w/c 30 September.
Please submit an application form online here: https://bit.ly/2sZNkOt. The deadline for applications is Wednesday 27 February 2019, 12 noon.
Applications will be shortlisted by Scottish Sculpture Workshop. We take a short list of the proposed activities to Lumsden Primary School students for feedback to support the selection process. We will respond to all applicants by Monday 11 March 2019.
You are advised to complete your application off-line until it is ready to be submitted, as the contents of the form cannot be saved before submission.
You will be asked to submit:
- A cover letter outlining your practice and reasons for applying to the programme, demonstrating an understanding and response to the location, critical programme and/or facilities. (500 words max)
- Artist statement (250 words max)
- A proposal for your expected activity with the students at Lumsden Primary School, and how you might share this publicly at the 40th anniversary celebrations (500 words max).
- A digital portfolio (4 – 6 samples of relevant work or research)
As an alternative to a written application, you may submit by video application. To do this, please use our online application form. You can upload your cover letter and artist statement (no more than 5 minutes long). In the fields Cover letter and Artist Statement please write “[see video]”.
We are listed on Euan’s Guide, the disabled access review site. If you have any specific access requirements you would like to discuss please get in touch.
If you have any questions about your application or the residency programme, please contact SSW Programme and Communications Manager, Jenny Salmean by email at jenny[at]ssw.org.uk.