Deadline for applications: Monday 24 June 2019, 12 noon.
Scottish Sculpture Workshop and Counterflows are inviting applications for the second SSW x Counterflows residency programme. Building on a successful pilot programme throughout 2018, we are now opening up applications to artists who break disciplinary boundaries between visual arts, performance and sound and whose practice foregrounds an interdisciplinary, experimental and improvised approach.
We are particularly interested in supporting artists who are at a pivotal moment of transition in their practice and those who will benefit from the knowledge, facilities, skills and platform provided by both Scottish Sculpture Workshop and Counterflows teams.
This residency programme offers:
- Four weeks’ residency at Scottish Sculpture Workshop in Lumsden, Aberdeenshire. The timeline for the programme is flexible and can be considered as one four-week residency, or several shorter visits, depending on the artist’s schedule and requirements.
- Following the residency, both organisations will continue to support the development of the artist’s work and practice, as well as the wider sharing of the artist’s practice throughout their national and international networks.
- The selected artist will also be offered the opportunity to share their process, experience or if appropriate outcomes at SSW’s 40th anniversary celebrations on the weekend of 2 – 3 November and at Counterflows Festival in April 2020.
To support residency activity, the selected artist, or collaboration, will receive:
- A fee of £1,500
- A travel budget of up to £500
- £500 living costs stipend
- £500 material budget
- A four week residency at SSW with use of studios, workshops and technical support
- Simple, shared accommodation throughout the residency period
- Opportunity to share work developed on residency at the SSW 40th anniversary celebrations and Counterflows festival in 2020.
We accept applications from both individuals and group collaborations:
- With a genuine interest and enthusiasm for the approach explored in this programme that respond to the residency offer outlined above.
- With a proven record of making trans-disciplinary work spanning visual arts, music, sound, performance (A guideline for this is 3 years out of education but we understand that experiences are developed over varying time periods so this is not a rigid marker)
- Able to commit to the timelines and key dates above
Deadline for applications: Monday 24 June 2019, 12 noon
Applicants notified w/c 1 July 2019
Residency takes place between 15 July — 28 October 2019
Sharing of work at SSW 40th anniversary: 2 November 2019
How to apply
All applications will be considered by both SSW and Counterflows. Together we will assess the applicant’s supporting materials and residency proposal in relation to the residency offer. Please apply using our online application platform. When applying you are advised to complete your application off-line until the contents of the form are ready to be submitted, as the contents of the form cannot be saved before submission. You will be asked to submit:
- A residency proposal which responds to the residency offer outlined above (no more than 400 words). Please also include why this residency is timely and would come at a pivotal moment for you in your life/ practice
- Three links to supporting materials (website/ sounds/ video/ images/ other online content)
As an alternative to a written application, you can submit your proposal as video or audio (no more than 3 minutes). To do this please use our online application form. In the proposal field please write [see video].
We are happy to discuss how we can support artists with children to access this residency.
If you have any specific access requirements you would like to discuss please contact us prior to making an application. Information on disabled access at SSW can be found here. If you have any questions or wish to discuss your application prior to the deadline please contact SSW Programme & Communications Manager, Jenny Salmean: jenny[at]ssw.org.uk
The 2018 SSW x Counterflows resident was Sholto Dobie. You can read about his experiences at SSW here.
Sholto will be launching a new album, The Blue Horse, made in partnership with Mark Harwood, at Cafe Oto on Saturday 1 June.